
Our cat has an allergy to fleas. I finally got her to the vet today to handle the problem. The poor thing has been scratching herself raw for about 3 weeks now. I've learned that a flea allergy is not an allergy to the fleas, but the flea saliva. The allergy creates intense itching. The veterinarian gave her a shot (which I'm surprised she didn't scratch him to pieces when he gave it to her) of steroids to calm the allergic reaction and give her skin time to heal. We expect a happier, less scratchy cat by next week.
3 comments:
Your poor cat! I hope she is feeling better soon. We are enjoying a kitten in our home these days. His name is Zeke and we really like him. We hope he has no allergies to flea saliva. :)
Jack is alergic too and so I have to be really good about flea medicine. It is expensive and a pain but i guess that is the price you pay!
She is feeling better... we've bathed her, deflea'd her and have been feeding her treats to boost her healthiness. I hope we can get past this very itchy situation soon.
Post a Comment