Sunday, September 12, 2010

Soccer, Salsa and Applesauce... Oh My!

Saturday turned out to be one of the busiest days we'd had in a long time. The soccer season has officially started so we got up early and headed down to Mission School for Jonah's 9:00am game. They played the Foothill Lightning Bolts for their first game on a U-12 field. During one of the scuffles for the ball, Jonah was kicked above his knee with the bottom of a cleat. He was bruised and a little scraped but kept playing. Jonah plays left defender because he is left footed kicker. He did a good job running up and down the field and clearing the ball. Jonah's team won 5-1. Go Doom!

After soccer we picked up ingredients from the farmers market to make salsa. We'd decided last minute on Friday that Saturday had better be a salsa day or we might run out of time and not make any this year. We bought enough for 3 recipes, and at 4 quarts per recipe that's a lot of jars! John did all the prep and chopping while I took a nap. When I woke up I did the cooking, stirring and canning. I think we ended up with 23 jars of salsa in the end. By John's calculations that will last us over a year.
As it turns out, I needed to make applesauce also. My lovely visiting teacher was kind enough to drop off a box of apples for me earlier that week. Jonah and Katie John assisted me with the apple chopping, but I couldn't start them simmering just yet as it was time to start dinner. Oven burritos are a favorite at our house and are pretty quick to make. While the burrito insides were cooking on the stove I got out a box cake and made some birthday cake batter for a cake I needed to decorate for the next day. Then when the burritos were done, in went the cake. About an hour later the apples were on the stove and ready to go.

This weekend was also the 50th anniversary of our stake. There was a big open house at the stake center and there was a need for kids to sit in the fake primary so that passing tours of non-members could see what a primary looked like in action. Katie John and Sariah said they were willing to go, so while my apples were cooking I ran them down to the church building and dropped them off. I came back just in time for the first pot of apples to need "saucing". Keira was my on-looker as Jonah snapped a picture of me putting the apples through my colander. We had a fun time squishing the apples through until it was time for Keira to go to bed and for me to pick up the girls. The applesauce turned out wonderful and I'm so glad I made it!

Now for those of you who imagine that I'm normally like this on a Saturday... that is simply not the case. It just turns out that things fell into place to get done. It is so much better once things are done and out of the way! Now on to our Fall party!

1 comment:

jojanwells said...

Oh the joys of canning! :)