Saturday, June 25, 2011

Santa Cruz 2011


 

 Our now annual vacation to New Brighton SB in Capitola was filled with fun. From Pizza My Heart on the beach front (above) to the boardwalk to Marianne's Ice Cream, the whole family had a great time.

On day two we strolled through downtown Capitola.  Many of the shops were fun, especially the candy shop where we bought salt water taffy, my favorite. Afterward we thought we'd try the classic Pizza My Heart location right on the beach front. 




At Marianne's Ice Cream we had dessert.  I was super excited because last year my morning sickness prevented me from tasting the local fare.

I had strawberries and cream... YUM!  I believe John had Pistachio something or other... ugh!  Half of the fun of Marianne's is that the kids get to pick their flavor.  The other half is laughing with friends. 
     Happy Birthday to Keira!  Turning 4 and as cute as can be!    Pancakes, strawberries and whipped cream were the special birthday breakfast.                                     






    The Wednesday night boardwalk trip is a tradition that everyone loves.  The unlimited ride wrist bands are only $10 per person after 5:00pm so we can get everyone one.  John takes the older kids to the coasters and I make the rounds to the kiddie rides.  Little Lucas spent a lot of time in the stroller, I think he still had a fun time.  Jonah and Katie John had a great time hanging out with their dad. 

 Sariah and Keira race in #24 Jeff Gordon's car!  As part of my crew, we hit all the fun rides at least twice! 



Lucas is just too darn cute in this picture!  Fresh from a good nights sleep he can't stop smiling. 


Katie John has been a wonderful helper this year.  When she wasn't off with her friends she and Lucas were good buddies.  I found that very helpful as I cooked all our in camp meals over the fire pit.  It was pretty neat to know I could do that.  I smelled like smoke all the time, but it was cool all the same. 

We went down to the beach several times this year.  The waves were great for body surfing, the sand was primed for sand castling and there was even a log semi-structure for the kids to dig and play under.  Of course John's head got sunburned, hence the hat. 




Lucas and my camera are pictured to remind me of the giant wave incident.  The tide was very high this year.  Even though we were up on a high sand spot, the waves kept getting closer and closer.  The kids tried to save us by building a sand wall to give Lucas time to finish his nap.  Alas... eventually a large wave came in faster than we could think and went over the "wall".  I only had time to grab Lucas and luckily my camera.  A friend grabbed up Keira who was also tuckered out and sleeping.  The wave soaked just about everything with water and sand about 25 feet past us. We had a good laugh about it after, knowing we should have moved our set up, but knowing if we had we surely would not have moved it far enough.


Our friend took this family photo on the beach on the second to last day.

 



 Katie John wave jumping !







Goodbye until next year Santa Cruz!

No comments: