Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Our 4th trip in 2 weeks to Orthopedics, 3rd cast

On Monday Keira had an appointment to get a replacement cast because her ankle swelling had gone down and the cast was loose. So we get a cast (not as cute as the last) and off we go. About 6:00pm on Tuesday John picks up Keira to hold her and whamo bamo her cast has fallen mostly off! This of course was a perfect ending to a stressful day of learning that John's car was broken beyond reasonable cost and we'd have to replace it. Anyway... I wrap her leg with ace bandages and call Kaiser. Of course they tell me that the safest course of action is to take her to the emergency room for a splint... but if I chose to just wait until morning to get an appointment probably nothing major would happen. So of course I chose the most reasonable action and just kept her from putting any weight on her ankle and called orthopedics this morning.

So off we went to get a new cast --hopefully from the good cast guy who did our first cast. Of course this morning was the coldest so far... BRRRRR so we practically ran into the building just to keep from freezing in place. Fortunately the good cast guy (Dave) was available and got us right in and took extra effort to ensure a good cast, and of course with a cute candy cane wrap. He also gave us a walking boot just in case it fell of while we are in Arizona (no Kaiser there). We really appreciated Dave, he gave the kids graham crackers to keep them all distracted, Dylan from his wild poopy diaper that at the moment I couldn't do anything about and keira from her castless ankle. What a nice guy! We are now at home, kids napping happily and a Mom with slightly less stress, still wishing for calm.

2 comments:

Orange Peanut said...

I hope the cast stays put this time! Have a nice time in AZ, hopefully it's warm there!

Christy said...

WOW and i thought my week was stressful. I am sorry to hear about John's car. We are looking at the same thing for Ben. I hope you find a good deal on a new one. Thank goodness for good doctor/nurses. It makes such a big difference. I am glad you got it all taken care of before AZ. Have a MERRY CHRISTMAS!