This year deciding when to have our annual fall party started with a bit of confusion as to the actual day first day of fall. Our calendar said that 9/22/10 was the first day of fall, and some calendars said 9/23/10 was the first day of fall. So because our calendar said the 22nd (and it would just be a better day all around for us) we chose the 22nd and started making plans.The whole week before we'd been cleaning, shopping and cooking in preparation for the big day. John and Jonah worked hard on the yard, mowing and edging. I worked on the cluttery edges of the house. Thankfully I was already in super clean mode since the big baby girl clothes clean-out so it wasn't that bad. We had addressed, emailed or handed out over 50 invitations for our big party and so planning for food was a bit daunting. John made his standard chili, spicy chili and corn chowder. I whipped up a turkey noodle soup as well as 2 apple pies and 2 pumpkin pies. John decided that we needed plenty of cookies so after the several dozen oatmeal raisin I made, he made many molasses and applesauce cookies. I suppose it's always good to be prepared!
On the day of the big event we got to work early decorating the backyard and doing all the last minute items. John took the day off so he was able to get the food going as well as help with anything extra.
By the time 6:00pm rolled around we actually had everything done and ready. I know! I'm amazed too! Our guests started arriving right on time and the party got going. A few friends brought some yummy corn bread or rolls which went really well with the food and helped stretch it farther. Next year we may need to scale back the invite list or arrange for more food! Most of everyone we know has little kids, so our backyard was buzzing with conversation as well as the the standard kid noise. Our backyard was filled to the brim with activity. This year I was determined to get a head count and pictures, unlike last year. So about half way through the party I snapped a few photos so we could have some memories of who was there. Our invite list ranged all around with family members, work people, Strauss people, friends from school and neighbors. A good mix of everyone showed up, so hopefully no one stood by themselves not knowing anyone.
My mom pointed out that the Fall Equinox was at exactly 8:03pm. So our party actually ushered in Fall! We looked at the clock just as it turned fall, Happy Fallidays everyone! You never know how long a party like this will last, especially because it's on a school night. We were surprised that most everyone left by about 8:20 and we were cleaning up by 8:30pm. I think things were cleaned up and looking pretty good shortly after nine, because I was exhausted and asleep on the couch by 9:30. Our final head count: 23 families, 75 or so people. Pretty good turnout!
1 comment:
so awesome! I wish I lived closer to celebrate the first day of fall with you. I'd even bring food to share. :)
Post a Comment